Thursday, June 24, 2010

Underrated Games: House of the Dead: Overkill

I was gonna talk about e3, but I decided to leave that for later, since I have a lot I wanna say, but not the conciousness to say it. So i figured seeing as I just started this blog, it would be a good idea to talk about some of my favorite games, favorite game characters, or favorite game series. Well, I decided Im too tired for that too (plus that would make a nice special post later >.>). So, i decided to go ahead and introduce a new, continuing segment in this blog.

Have you ever played a game that you thought was just so great, but overshadowed by all these other games that people talk about all the time? Well, between the Halos, and the Call of Dutys, and the Final Fantasies, and the like? I have a plethera of games I feel that way about, and hopefully I will cover one you feel is underrated too. Have a suggestion for me? Then send it to me via facebook (www.facebook.com/djghostpirate), or my email (djdomino999@yahoo.com)

Before I start, I wanna add a bit of a disclaimer. This is not a formal review of the game, however, just a highlight of it (although I do do reviews).

Now then, House of the Dead: Overkill is the latest game in the House of the Dead series. Technically speaking, however, its the very first game story wise. It centers around Detective Issac Washington and Agent G (the only character to appear in every House of the Dead game to date), on their zombie destroying adventure.

What is it that attracts me about this game? Well I definatley love the Grindhouse-esque style they bring to the game, a Wii game, no less. If you've ever seen a Quentin Tarantino film, then you'll enjoy this game. The game feels much like an interactive movie as well. And everything flows together in this style they presented, a concept that a lot of games have failed to grasp.

The characters in this game are also a large attraction to it. Washington and G play off of each other perfectly. I don't believe there has been such a perfect video game duo since Mario and Luigi. The banter between these two is so over the top, but at the same time, natural, in an odd sense of the word. Our two villians, Clement and Papa Cesar have got to be two of the best villians to ever exist in video game history. There's something very bizzare and mysterious about Clement, but at the same time strangly, and almost uncomfortably loveable about him. And Papa Cesars broken speaches and odd analogies make him a very tough character to hate. But I know what you're asking: What about the female sex symbol? Well, she's here too, under the name of Varla Guns. Ironically enough the only good character not playable, she's a very enjoyable character, and you get everything you would expect out of her (additude, clevage, more additude, and more clevage), but she's actually taken out of the story near the end, meaning if there is a sequel, she wont be present unless they use some sort of cheap way to bring her back. However, since this game really has no shame, I don't think anyone would mind a cheezy ressurection.

So do I have any problem with this game? Just one. ITS TOO SHORT. Easily beatable in one sitting, you enjoy the ride so much, you feel cheated when you get so little of it. You find yourself wanting, craving, desiring, begging for more, and unfortunately, its not there. But what you do get, is a can stuffed full of pure awesome.

So if you own a Wii, and are looking for a really good game to play, you owe it to yourself to at least rent House of the Dead: Overkill. Trust me, you wont be sorry. And Im a doctor.

Stay Healthy, Have Fun
Dr. Buck

No comments:

Post a Comment