Saturday, June 26, 2010

e3 Wrap-up time

So I figure I should do this while e3 is still relevant, so a lot of people wanna know, what was I impressed by? What was I not impressed by? Well I suppose I'll tell you.

First of all, I gotta say I was just impressed by e3 in general. For once, EVERYONE decided to go big, and there was a LOT to talk about this year. And so many impressive games this time around as well. This years e3 was definitely a lot better than 2009's e3.

That being said, what is there to talk about? Well I already spoke upon the two new systems introduced at e3, the 360 Slim and the 3DS. But I guess I haven't really commented on the three big companies themselves. And unlike last year, Im actually impressed by every single "big 3" company (albiet some more than others). So I guess a good place to start would be with the big 3.

Microsoft, for them, I was mostly impressed by the new X Box. I mean, I think the built in WiFi should have been something included in the original 360, however its nice to see that they're finally including it. And the fact that they kept that hardrive in there is very very nice indeed. Its quieter, smaller, sleeker, and just generally more improved than previous models.

So I bet you're wondering, what do I think of the Kinect? Personally, Im not very excited about it. Granted, I think a lot of the things they did are very impressive, and you know, maybe in a few years after this system is out for a while, it might be something Im actually interested in. The motion controls are very sleek and smooth, and the fact that it doesnt require a solid controller is nice. So maybe in a few years, when the ridiculous price drops, I might look into getting it.

And then there's Sony. Am I impressed by the Move? No. Am I impressed by the PSP2? Not at all. The BIGGEST sony related thing that Im impressed by is Portal 2. Sony claims that the PS3 version is going to be the best version of the game. So what is it that impresses me? Sony is taking that bold statement to try and propell themselves back on top. So Sony, I wanna know, what is it exactly that will make the same game better on your system?

Other than that, what am I impressed by Sony wise? Nothing. Much like the Kinect, I feel like the only reason they're doing motion controls is simply to catch up to Nintendo. But where as Microsoft is actually trying to be better than Nintendo (whether or not thats the case is up for debate), Sony can't even match them. The Wii can do everything the Move can do and more. Why should I be impressed by this hack of a concept?

And the PSP2? The only thing that stuck in my mind was... Why bother? Much like the DS vs. PSP, the 3DS is simply going to burry the PSP2. Already the 3DS is proving to be just as impressive (and in some cases more impressive) as the consoles themselves. So again I ask, why bother? Why not just save the money you're putting into this already doomed portable device and fuel it into the PS3 that desperatley needs it.

So then that leaves Nintendo. And especially comparing to their dismal display last year, Nintendo did everything right this year. They kept that bit of mystery to keep people guessing with the 3DS, but now they've created a fan frenzy with the multitude of games coming back (i.e. Donkey Kong, Kid Icarus, Kirby, ect.), a new Metroid game, Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword (which has numerous fans in a frenzy), and of course, Mario did not go forgotten with new Mario Sports Mix, a new Mario Kart, and a New Paper Mario game (a game Im personally excited about). Plus a new Dragon Quest game, more Professor Layton, and several Pokemon games in the works. Nintendo showed us exactly what e3 was about: giving the fans what they want. My only hope is that all of this measures up to the hype it generated.

So what about everything else? What individual games am I excited about? Well as a personal favorite, Im excited about Smackdown vs Raw 2011. Of course, that becuase Im a wrestling fan. But what game am I most excited about, even more so than some of the previously mentioned games? Simply put, Marvel vs. Capcom 3. Its been soo long since Marvel vs. Capcom 2 was released, and I cannot wait to put my hands on this new one. Hopefully some of my favorite characters come back, like Cyclops, Storm, Gambit, War Machine, Ruby Heart, and Amingo to join the ranks of new characters like Deadpool (BEST NEW CHARACTER IN THIS GAME. SCREW DANTE. DEADPOOL > EVERYONE). Also from Capcom, Okamiden, a sequel to the original Okami on the DS, and Street Fight 4 on the 3DS. And trust me, if you've seen Street Fighter 4, you'd understand why its such a huge deal that this game is on this handheld system.

EA I was surprisingly dissapointed in. I mean, I love EA, but they mostly did a huge revealing of a lot of sports games, which Im not really interested in (although I did love NBA Stree 3). I mean, I guess Dead Space 2 and Crysis 2 were big deals to some people, but seeing as I havent played the original version of either game (though I hear I should, but thats hard without the proper system), Im not too excited.

Namco can suck it. I waited ALL of E3 to hear about some of the many Tales games in limbo (i.e. Tales of Graces and Tales of VS.), only to really hear about a Dragon Ball game, a Naruto game, and Pac Man Party. No Soul Calibur. No Tales. I love Namco, and I guess these are games they should talk about, so I suppose its not really fair for me to get TOO mad. I just really really wanted to hear about a Soul Calibur 5, or a new Tales game for the US.

Various other games Im looking forward too include Mortal Kombat (SO F*CKING HAPPY THAT KUNG LAO IS BACK). It looks like a really nice mix of the more recent 3D games, and the 2D games that launched the title of the ground. Pretty much, this is to to Mortal Kombat series as Street Fighter 4 was to the Street Fighter series.

Seeing as i loved The Conduit one (and if anyone out there has it, lemme know. I'll get a FC for you), Im really excited for The Conduit 2. I just hope they fix all the problems with The Conduit 1's online play (like the lame ass hackers that make themselves invincible), and make a more detailed story. Which it looks like they're definatley looking at that, seeing as this game takes you all over the GLOBE. And Sega said they were looking to improve online play, and the new graphics look incredible. Almost as if they were on an X Box 360.

Im also hoping at least ONE of the new Sonic Games don't suck (Sonic Colors has promise, just saying, Sega). Little Big Planet 2, Infamous 2, LoTR Aragorn's Quest, Super Scribblenauts, Fable III (Two words. HELL YES), and Animal Crossing 3DS are all games Im personally excited about. Any games you wanna talk about? Displays you were excited/disappointed about? Lemme know on Twitter (ghostpiratedj), Facebook, or right here!

Stay Healthy, Have fun
Dr. Buck

No comments:

Post a Comment