Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Chrno Crusade

So with an e3 come and gone, you're probably wondering what will I talk about on this blog? Well first of all, I gotta say, those who know the video game industry knows that its future is constantly evolving, and constantly changing. New updates are posted all the time, and I'll be here to discuss them.

Another thing I'd like to point out is that the point of this blog isnt to provide news on the gaming world. I just comment on certain topics. And while we have a very bright, changing future, we also have a deep past, and numerous topics I can comment on.

And then there is the third alternative. I dunno how much my readers have paid attention to the site itself, but you'll notice this blog is also tailored to anime! Yes, there is a second topic this blog focuses on! And for my first anime related post, I would like to talk about one of my favorite anime ever, and that anime is called Chrno Crusade. And I know its an unusual first thing to comment on, but I do want to point out that the name is not a typo. Yes it is pronounced Chrono, but there is indeed only one O. And I know that bothers some people, and honestly I dont know what is the official spelling of the word, but this is how it is spelled in this case.

Now for the basics. What is Chrno Crusade about? Thats a little hard to explain. The story does take place in 1920's New York, however, don't let that fool you. While it takes place in the same time period as the Al Capone and his reign, it really doesn't focus on the going ons of that time period. Much like the later episodes of That 70s Show, the setting really just plays a back drop to the events at hand. The story is really about demon killing! I bet you never would have guessed just based on the setting. It follows one particular member of the Order of Magdelene, Rosette Christopher and her friend Chrno. Essentially, Chrno is a devil himself, but one without his horns. So to stay alive, he has to share the life of Rosette. Every time Chrno taps into his true power, he saps Rosette of her life.

Now Im not gonna spoil how this came to be, or a lot of details about this anime. But I do wanna talk about how this series really does something that no other show does. The drastic change in this shows emotion is just incredible. This show starts with such an emphasis on humor. The first few episodes are some of the funniest episodes in anime you'll ever watch. But as the show progresses, it begins to take such a serious turn, and by the end of the series, its one of the most drama-oriented anime's you'll ever watch.

I will warn new viewers that this isnt one of those anime you can watch just sorta in passing. Trust me, if you don't give Chrno Crusade your full attention, you will miss details and be so confused later down the road. This anime does a great job of keeping filler to a bare minimum. Just about every episodes has SOMETHING important to the plot or character development in them. Which is one of the advantages of a one shot anime like this one, vs a long, several season series like Naruto, Inuyasha, and the such (this debate too will be looked upon in later posts). This means of course, that all while watching this anime, you are almost gaurenteed to be entertained.

So would I say I wanna see a sequel to this series? No. Now while I wouldnt mind seeing more simmilar to it, I feel that the way it ended, despite the fact that they left it open for a sequel, wrapped everything up quite nicely. And its sequel possible ending actually provides for a lot better of a twist ending that leaves you thinking. Fortunately (and at the same time unfortunately), this series wasnt super popular, nor did the dvds sell very well, so i do believe that we are safe from a sequel.

However, that does not excuse you from not going and watching this series. It will make you laugh, it will make you cry, and it will make you think. I personally give Chrno Crusade a 5 out of 5.

Stay Healthy, Have Fun
Dr. Buck

Doctors Note: Im sorry for such a short post, however, next time's promises to be a very very lengthy one. And if you knew what I was going to talk about, you would know why.

No comments:

Post a Comment